News: Last Week In Tori...And The Weeks Before That Too...
Posted by woj on Wednesday, July 09, 2014
This time last week, South Africa, basking in the afterglow of the final show on the Unrepentant Geraldines Tour southern swing, was waving farewell to Tori as North America prepared for the tour to return to its shores and pick up again on the West Coast come mid-July. Between the pleasantries of Independence Day here in the States and the unpleasant intrusion of real life, the site has been a bit dormant so here’s a not-so-quick summary of recent happenings to get everyone — particularly ourselves — caught up.
First, a recap of the other things that happened during the South African tour while we were focusing on the live shows themselves.
- To prime the promotional pump, Tori reflected on her 2011 South African tour and the current tour in an interview with Rebecca Jackman for The Cape Times.
- The first Johannesburg concert earned a rave review from Nicola Beach for What’s On In Cape Town as well as some lovely press from City Buzz’s Graeme Shackleford.
- On June 30th, during the afternoon before the second Cape Town show, Tori visited the studios of Cape Talk 567 to talk to Pippa Hudson. The radio station kindly shared the complete audio of their excellent conversation on Soundcloud for everyone who may have missed it.
- On the same day, Tori also chatted with News24’s Jennifer Sanasie about the tour, Tori’s daughter Natashya, and Under the Pink. Video of that interview is available from Channel24.
- The Daily Maverick also got in the game with an article summarizing Tori’s career that appeared in that news website following the tour.
And, from the non-South-African department…
- “Promise” has been announced to be the second single from Unrepentant Geraldines. A video, which features both Tori and Tash, was shot for it in between the European and South African legs of the tour.
- Trevor Moss and Hannah-Lou, who opened for most of the European leg of the tour, have been announced as the opening act for the North American leg as well.
- Back in April, while the pre-album release promo tour was in New York City, Tori spent some time record shopping with Nylon’s Jade Taylor. A couple photos surfaced on Instagram back then…but now the article, which includes a photo gallery of their visit to Generation Records, is on Nylon’s website.
- Chris Azzopardi interviewed Tori for PrideSource.com, touching on the new record, her career, past and present, and Tori’s relationship with the gay community.
- Swide’s Ben Taylor spoke with about Unrepentant Geraldines, being a parent and the on-going work on The Light Princess cast recording.
- Süddeutche Zeitung has a series of articles called “Sagen Sie jetzt nichts” (“Now say nothing”) in which personalities are asked questions and they respond wordlessly with expressions or gestures which are photographed. Tori was the subject of this series in the June 27th edition of the magazine answering questions ranging from “Where do you sing the most?” to “What is the first thing you would do if you were a man for a day?”
- FaceCulture posted a two-part video interview with Tori that was conducted while she was passing through Holland earlier on the tour.
- Alex Macpherson sat down with Tori for The Quietus and ended up looking back at some of the less-discussed songs from her back catalog — though they also took a close look at a couple songs from the new record as well.
- Stereogum listed the 10 best Tori Amos songs which SoSoGay countered with the 10 best Tori Amos songs you (probably) haven’t heard. Meanwhile, PopMatters decided a better top 10 would be the 10 songs Tori Amos should cover, perhaps in response to Alex Ramon’s summary of notable covers thus far on the Unrepentant Geraldines tour which, disappointingly, only includes 9 selections! In any case, once we get enough Tori listicles, we promise to list our ten favorites!
- Martijn Tulp interviewed Tori for the July issue of Gay & Night. The article, in which Tori revealed that she’d love to be a judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race, is available online via issuu.
- Brian Ives, who fleshed out the news of The Light Princess cast recording back in May, had the rest of his interview with Tori for Radio.com published back in the beginning of June. The article also includes video footage from their discussion.
- Dan Loughry interviewed for Frontiers magazine.
- Bitch Magazine interviewed Tori, discussing the new record and feminism.
- Boxx also had a feature interview with Tori during which she summarized the work on The Light Princess and addressed the state of the music industry for women.
- Finally, Pop Sugar declares Tori hasn’t changed one bit since the 90s. Mmmm hmmmm.
Phew! Thanks to Mike Minanian, mkgtweety, Erin, Scott, choirguy, Lorna, Jennifer, and several anonymous contributors for all the links! We appreciate it!